Sunday, March 23, 2008

What He did. Why it matters.


Easter - the holiest of holidays. The message of Easter to me is that no matter what, I had better hold on, because He felt the combined hurt of the world in order to reclaim me from it. Me giving up before reaching the finish line is exactly what the prince of this world wants me to do (just one more reason not to, as if I needed one.)

A few years ago there was a talk given at BYU called "The Very Root of Christian Doctrine" by Thomas B. Griffith. I think it ought to be required reading of anyone seeking to understand what we should focus on in all of our teaching, preaching and worship.

In summary, it is Him, Jesus Christ, and nothing else, thank you. We're not going to make it out of the trouble we're in now and certainly not out of the trouble yet to come if we don't really know, for ourselves, who He is and what He has done and is willing to still do for us.

Speaking in a ward's sacrament meeting today, I quoted President Howard W. Hunter, who said the following:

"His empty tomb proclaims to all the world, “He is not here, but is risen.” (Luke 24:6.) These words contain all the hope, assurance, and belief necessary to sustain us in our challenging and sometimes grief-filled lives."

To any that I love who may think Christ of little consequence, I say, please reconsider. Carefully. As if your life depended on it. As if the answer to the question of who He is and what He did for you is the most important single thing you will ever know. I know He did what he said He did. I feel the power of that every day of my life:

Jesus, the very thought of thee
With sweetness fills my breast;
But sweeter far thy face to see
And in thy presence rest.

1 comment:

  1. I love this man!! No really I do. What a great blog. I am always inspired by you because you are always inspired by the source of truth and light.Thank you

    ReplyDelete