Sunday, March 9, 2008




Not to reveal my age (since the three people that may actually look at this already know anyway,) but growing up in another century, I used to imagine someday being a radio DJ, which was even before I wanted to be a truck driver ("We got a great big convoy, rockin' through the night!" - that's CW McCall up there, my childhood hero.) I even had my own "studio" growing up in Oregon, consisting of an L-shaped stack of boxes built around my dad's reel-to-reel player (Favorite track: Frankie Lane's "The Gunfight at OK Corral.")

Anyway, I used to love to make my own tapes (we used something called a turntable and a cassette recorder...crazy, huh?) and then we'd play them while we cruised down Willamette Street in Eugene (after going to church dances, where the real action was.) I still have some of those tapes with silly titles like "Road Tunes II" and "Street Rock."

Thinking about this the other got me wondering about what ten or twenty CD's I would take on a road trip today (assuming that whole iPod thing never happened) and thought it might be fun to make a list and invite those who care to to make their own versions for our reading enjoyment.

And thus (in no particular order):

Springsteen - Nebraska
Mary Chapin Carpenter - Come On, Come On
Steve Earle - Guitar Town
Nanci Griffith - Other Voices, Other Rooms
R.E.M. - Murmer
Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town
U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
John Mellancamp - Scarecrow
Alison Krauss - So Long So Wrong
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Van Halen - Fair Warning
Shawn Colvin - Fat City
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Allison Moorer - The Hardest Part

There are lots more...I'll keep adding. How about yours? What would you take along for the ride?

3 comments:

  1. Ok Scott I'm in on the fun but you have to come over to my blog to read my list! I'm with you on the Alison Krauss , Shawn Colvin & even a bit of U2 thanks to Jared! This is fun, thanks for the idea!
    Smiles and Love JEN

    ReplyDelete
  2. The music I love the most came straight from this list. Probably because you like music that says something (and not just over and over!)Goodbye Depeche Mode. Hello Nancy Griffith :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The music you love has become the music I love-with a few flourishes.

    ReplyDelete