Sunday, January 8, 2012

Laying hold on "every good thing"


A question I often wrestle with is this: How do I get the things I want? By things I don't mean "things," i.e. stuff. I mean dreams, hopes, desires, longings, goals. The things I think about when there's nothing else to think about.

The next question then comes close behind: Does God want me to have the things that I want to have?

Yes. Absolutely. 100%. Without question.

"God is anxiously waiting for the chance to answer your prayers and fulfill your dreams, just as He always has. But He can't if you don't pray, and He can't if you don't dream. In short, He can't if you don't believe.”Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

So how is it done? How has God made a way for us to "lay hold on every good thing"? Mormon asks just this question:

And now, my brethren, how is it possible that ye can lay hold upon every good thing?

And now I come to that faith, of which I said I would speak; and I will tell you the way whereby ye may lay hold on every good thing.

For behold, God knowing all things, being from everlasting to everlasting, behold, he sent angels to minister unto the children of men, to make manifest concerning the coming of Christ; and in Christ there should come every good thing. (Moroni 7:20-22)

In Christ there should come every good thing. Including the things that I want and wish for. My hopes, dreams and desires.

Men and women who turn their lives over to God will find out that he can make a lot more out of their lives than they can. He will deepen their joys, expand their vision, quicken their minds, strengthen their muscles, lift their spirits, multiply their blessings, increase their opportunities, comfort their souls, raise up friends, and pour out peace.

God loves us, he's watching us, he wants us to succeed, and we'll know someday that he has not left one thing undone for the eternal welfare of each of us. If we only knew that there are heavenly hosts pulling for us--friends in heaven, whom we can't remember now, who yearn for our victory. This is our day to show what we can do--what life and sacrifice we can daily, hourly, instantly bring to God. If we give our all, we will get his all from the greatest of all.  President Ezra Taft Benson

If I turn my dreams and desires over to Jesus Christ, I have the promise of Jesus Christ's help in obtaining them.

As I think about the year ahead and about goals yet to be reached, I take hope in the knowledge I have that "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." He wants me to "lay hold on every good thing." He is able to show me what I should do, where I should go, and whom I should know.

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back-- Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now." W. H. Murray

1 comment: